Saturday, March 16, 2013

Sweetcorn and Paneer Vegetable Curry



 This curry happened during one of my pantry clearing sessions. That day I had already made noodles and rice and I wanted to make something Chinese to go with it…May be Gobi Manchurian? But cleaning project being on the top of my mind I decided to make my Gobi Manchurian later and proceeded with the cleaning session. Then when I was clearing my pantry I had second thoughts. I had a small piece of cabbage, a capsicum, some carrots and beans stashed away in a corner of the pantry. I started wondering what I should do with them. Just then I realised I had half a packet of sweet corn and a big block of paneer too. So I decided to make a curry combining the two and of course with the veggies too. That would be a good choice. Anyway the cauliflower was fresh…My Gobi Manchurian can wait for another day!



So what do I make? Rather how do I?I dint not have a readymade recipe…So I borrowed from one recipes I already had  and  put  my own imagination and experience to good use. I loved the dish. You can see the dish in the pic below..




This is a nice side dish for chapathis and even fried rice too. Moreover its healthy too .It’s a mixture of vegetables like cabbage, beans carrot and capsicum. I cut all my vegetables into long strips for variety.  The white of the cabbage, green of beans and capsicum ,orange coloured carrots added colour to the curry….





 At the end of the day my pantry looked spick and span …free from small bundles of plastic covers with little little of all the vegetables you know of !...... some of which I used in my new recipe..…
As for the curry I’m glaaad I have one more recipe for keeps.

Ingredients
Finely Minced Garlic-1 tbsp
Minced ginger- tsp
Spring onions-1/4 cup
Capsicum-1/2 medium sized(cut into long strips)
Carrots-1/4 cup(cut into long strips)
Cabbage-1/4 cup(cut into long strips)
Beans-2 (cut into long strips)
Sweet corn kernels-1/4 cup
Red chilli paste-1 tsp
Soy sauce-1 tsp
Vinegar- ½ tsp
Tomato ketchup-1-2 tbsp
Cornflour-1 1/2 tbsp
Paneer- 8-10 cubes
Chopped Green chilli - 1
Salt
Water-1 1/2 cup
Oil-vegetable oil/peanut oil/sesame oil
Method
Add oil in a thick bottomed vessel. When hot add garlic and ginger and stir for half a minute. Add green chilli and spring onions.
Add vegetables(cabbage ,beans ,carrot) stir on high for 4-5 minutes and toss them. If the vegetables are not cooked close lid and let it cook.
In the meantime boil water .Add corn kernels with little salt and boil for 4 minutes. Simmer and boil with lid covered for 2 minutes.
Add corn kernels and capsicum. Stir well till cooked.
Add paneer cubes.
Reduce heat. Add red chilli paste, soy sauce, tomato ketchup and vinegar. Mix and cook for 2 minutes.
Add water and cook till water reduces to half the quantity.Add Salt to taste.
Add little water to conflour and mix well so that there are no lump.
Stir till curry thickens.
Sprinkle green of spring onions and serve hot with chapathis or fried rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment