Thursday, February 21, 2013

Lemon and Coconut Salad




I don’t know whether to call it a side dish,salad or a sauce. I guess it’s the consistency. Mine better be captioned as a side dish as it is not very creamy. You can see it in the pictures I clicked below. There again that depends on whether you use tinned coconut milk or a homemade version. I used a homemade jar of coconut milk which made the dish watery whereas the thick tinned coconut milk turns the Lemon Coconut sauce creamy.





Lemony and sprinkled with fresh coriander leaves this coconut dish is also an apt accompaniment to biriyanis and pilafs. It’s a great appetizer too...







I have been wanting to make this for a long time now. I bookmarked the recipe a long time ago. I loved the recipe the first time I saw it.I kept looking at the recipe every now and then.Like I said I loved the look.  I loved to see small strips of chopped coriander floating on a pure white coconut milk occasionally spotted with the taste of chopped scallions  with the tanginess of lemon in every sip ….ummm…nice isn’t it? Then why not try it out?


But I never got to making it. Then today I made some vegetable mixed rice. So I decided to make the lemon Coconut sauce to go with the mixed rice. They made a great combo. This lovely sauce is surely going into my menu whenever I make mixed rice….here goes the recipe

Ingredients
Garlic-1 clove
Green chilli-1
Salt-1/2 Tsp
Sunflower oil-1 tbsp
Scallions-6 peeled and chopped
Cilantro-1/2 cup
Coconut milk-2 cup
Lemon juice-3 Tbsp

Method
In a mortar crush garlic and chilli with salt using the pestle.
Add oil and scallions to it and smash a bit more.
Pulse cilantro and add.
Transfer mixture to a bowl. Add coconut milk and lemon juice. Mix well.
Serve immediately or refrigerate and store up to a week to serve later. 



1 comment:

  1. It looks very delicious. I try this recipe tomorrow. Today I have a lot of work. My boss watching me, so I'm not bored in work ;) Maybe I should change my office job? If I was a chef I might cook at work and nobody complaint :)

    ReplyDelete