Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Kiwi, Mint and Lemon Mocktail


This time I got a variety of fruits from “The fruit Shop” .There were loads of Avocados, egg fruits and kiwi neatly arranged in rows and rows of wooden shelves there. I couldn’t think of buying an avocado or kiwi 10-20 yrs back…it was just not available …..and now it’s right here, at my nearby Fruit shop. I was overjoyed. I pounced on them and went on a happy shopping spree.



I saw the kiwis sitting in one corner….like how my husband says “like a small furry animal”. The recipe of my Kiwi mint and lemon mocktail  immediately popped up in my  mind .A green coloured mocktail rich with the taste of kiwi pulp, diluted with the piquant taste of zesty lemons and mint leaves. It’s a terrific combo- Kiwi Lemon and mint all brought together in this mocktail. The rich taste that mint lends to this drink makes it a delightful appetizer.



So I came back home and wasted no time. I peeled the kiwis pulped the fruit and proceeded with the recipe….After the mock tail was done I refrigerated it...I had some chores to finish so I went out.




 After a long afternoon out in the sun I came back home. It is so hot outside that by the time I finished what I had to do I was famished. My mom immediately served me my chilled kiwi mocktail. One sip-Wow !-As the chilled drink went down my throat.. a chill that envigoured a tired me.I could feel fatigue sparks bursting out of my head –Like  in some Ad commercial. I smiled-My KLM Mocktail-this moment nothing could be better.




Ingredients

Water- 1 Cup or 250 ml
Granulated Sugar-1/2 cup or 125 ml
Kiwi fruit-2
Mint leaves- 1/2 cup
Lemons-2
Salt- a pinch

Method
Heat water and sugar in a saucepan in medium heat stir occasionally until sugar is dissolved. Simmer for 5 minutes. Switch off flame. Stir in mint leaves and let it stand for 20 minutes. Allow to cool.
Peel the kiwi and cut it into chunks. Puree it.
Add the water sugar mint syrup to the pureed kiwi and strain.Press the mint while you strain and discard the leaves.
Add juice of 2 lemons and stir. Add salt and more sugar if required.Refrigerate and serve cold.

Note:
You can also add mint leaves when the water is simmering.This gives the mocktail a rich mint flavour.






No comments:

Post a Comment